Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Academic Transfer Credit Policies

General Transfer Credit Policy


Our policies and procedures for transfer and applicability of course credits to a JCU Bachelor of Arts incorporate these basic principles:

  1. We expect to verify whether or not the student's experience at the other institution is appropriately commensurate with the experience of students in similar courses offered by JCU with respect to content, academic level, scope and relevance;
  2. Whether that experience is of reasonable comparability and applicability and can be documented in some manner, (e.g. coming from a fully accredited college or university);
  3. Whether that experience is of reasonable comparability and applicability and can be documented by the student via other means such as textbooks, syllabi, exams, papers, projects, etc.

Course work of comparable content and scope to the JCU curriculum will generally be transferred if it was completed at colleges or universities accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, or other regional accrediting organizations at the time the work was completed. For international colleges or universities, the international equivalent of regional accreditation or Ministry of Education recognition will be considered.

U.S. Accreditation Bodies for Higher Education Institutions:

If course work was completed at a school not regionally accredited, a student may specifically request that their course work be considered for transfer. The Registrar’s Office at John Cabot University will utilize the recommendations of American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO) when making its decision.

These recommendations include, but are not limited to:

  • The educational quality of the sending institution
  • The comparability of credit to be transferred to JCU
  • Applicability of the credit in relation to the programs being offered at JCU
  • Additional documentation that the student may be required to provide regarding the course work for transferability.

A student's initial class standing is determined by the total number of transfer credits awarded by the Registrar's Office upon acceptance, not by the number of semesters/years already completed at other universities/colleges.

  • Freshman - 0-29 semester hours of credit
  • Sophomore - 30-59 semester hours of credit
  • Junior - 60-89 semester hours of credit
  • Senior - 90 ore more semester hours of credit
John Cabot University operates on a semester system and awards semester hours. If a student has attended an institution that operated on a quarter system, her/his credits will be converted from quarter hours to semester hours according to the following criteria:
  • To convert quarter credits to semester credits, multiply by 0.665

A Bachelor of Arts Degree requires completion of a minimum of 120 credits distributed according to the general requirements of the University and the requirements of the major. At least 60 credits, including the last 30, must be earned in residence at John Cabot University.

An Associate of Arts Degree requires completion of a minimum of 60 credits distributed according to the general requirements of the University and the requirements of the major. At least 30 credits, including the last 15, must be earned in residence at John Cabot University.

The University allows a maximum of 60 sem hrs of transfer coursework to be applied towards any B.A. program and a maximum of 30 sem hrs of transfer coursework to be applied towards any A.A. program. If, upon acceptance, your transfer credits exceed 60, there will be a difference between the "total transfer credits granted" and the "total credit hours to be completed in residency" under the Official Transfer Credit Evaluation document.

Despite these restrictions, all of your transferable credits are listed on the Transfer Credit Evaluation and on your official transcripts. It may be helpful to think of your transfer credits as a "bank account" of credits from which you may draw to fulfill university proficiency requirements, as well as specific degree program requirements. All of your transferable credits will remain in the bank, but no more than 60 may be withdrawn in order to be applied to toward the 120 (or more) credits required to obtain a B.A. degree.

The following coursework will not be accepted for transfer credit and will not count toward any degree at John Cabot University:
  • Any college-level course in which the grade earned is below a C or is a Pass/Fail evaluation
  • Audited courses
  • Courses identified as remedial, such as remedial English, Mathematics, Sciences or Developmental Reading/Writing
  • ESL courses and English language courses
  • Vocational-technical courses that are offered at two-year and proprietary institutions
  • Courses in Religion that constitute specialized religious training or that are doctrinal in nature
  • Credits earned for work experience or through cooperative education programs
  • Credits earned for Internships
  • Credits earned for Independent Studies/Independent Research Projects
  • Credits earned in PE courses, such as Surfing, Yoga, etc...
  • Credits earned for practical, applied music and music performance
  • Credits earned for practical, applied dance and performance
  • Courses taken at the post-graduate level
  • Courses or programs identified as college orientation, freshman seminars and/or first-year programs
  • Courses considered below college level
  • Repeated courses or courses with duplicate subject content
  • Courses offered for non-credit continuing education units
  • Non-Academic/Vocational courses (except for courses listed on JST transcripts)

Transfer credit is only considered from international colleges/universities that are recognized by the Ministry of Education, or a similar accrediting body, in the home country. In order to qualify for transfer credits, courses completed at recognized international tertiary institutions must be applicable to the student's degree and comparable to the nature, content and quality of John Cabot University undergraduate courses.

An official copy of the transcripts must be submitted to the Registrar's Office for any coursework to be evaluated for transfer credit award. A certified translation must accompany all academic documents not issued in English. The translation should be literal and not interpretative. If the course content is not evident from course titles, students should be prepared to provide official catalog course descriptions as well as detailed syllabi.

In many cases, international credits will have to be converted into U.S. semester hours. The Registrar's Office will also determine the grade scale equivalency for each international institution based on WES and AACRAO recommendations.