Skip to main content

Academic Transfer Credit Policies


Independent Study Abroad - Application Procedures and Program Eligibility

If you are a current JCU student you can study abroad at a regionally accredited American institution or any accredited and authorized national university. 

How is Independent Study Abroad different from the Direct Exchange program and what are the steps? 

  1. Host Institution Approval: If the school you are applying to is not a member of AAICU (full list below) and is not a Direct Exchange partner you must submit your host institution for approval to the Registrar's Office at Once the institution has been verified and approved, you may proceed with your application. If your institution is listed on our official Institutional Transfer Credit Database you will not need to seek approval for your host institution.
  2. Application: you are responsible for submitting your application to the host university, along with any supporting documents, by the host university's deadlines.
  3. Tuition: students who study abroad independently pay tuition and any additional enrollment fees directly to the host university, according to the host university's prices, policies and deadlines. ‚Äč
  4. Course Approval: you should schedule an appointment with the Registrar's Office to make sure that the courses you wish to enroll for will transfer back to JCU and will further your academics by fulfilling major and/or minor requirements. 
  5. Leave of Absence: you will need to apply for a Leave of Absence from John Cabot University for the duration of your study abroad
  6. US Federal Aid: if you are a a US Federal Aid recipient, completing coursework online or in the U.S.A. will put you at risk of losing federal loan eligibility. This affects all US Federal Aid recipients who spend a term at a US institution, study abroad with a program hosted by a US institution, or enroll in a distance learning programs at a US institution. Therefore, you are strongly encouraged to choose a program outside of the US and that it is authorized to administer Title IV funds. For further assistance please contact the Financial Aid Office.
AAICU member Institutions
Schedule an appointment

Al Akhawayn University [Ifrane, Morocco]

American College of Thessaloniki

American University of Armenia

American University of Bulgaria

American University of Central Asia

American University of Nigeria

American University of Sharjah

Central European University

Frankly University [Switzerland]

Forman Christian College University [Lahore]

Haigaizian University [Lebanon]

Irish American University

Lebanese American University

Richmond [London, UK]

Saint Louis University [Spain]

The American College of Greece

The American University in Cairo

The American University in Kosovo

The American University of Afghanistan

The American University of Beirut

The American University of Paris


Requesting and submitting official transcripts

In order to transfer the credits for courses taken abroad, the Registrar's Office must receive official transcripts  from the institution where you conducted your study abroad semester.

Official transcripts must be submitted, in one of the following ways:

  • sent via air-mail, in an official, sealed envelope
  • sent via script-safe electronic transcripts
  • hand delivered by the student in an official, sealed envelope

Mailing address for air-mail and overnight deliveries:

John Cabot University
Attn. Hellen Vera Chilelli
Associate Registrar

Registrar's Office
Via della Lungara, 233
Rome (RM) - 00165 - Italy

Email address for script-safe transcript submission:

Academic Policy: Repeated Courses

Courses in which a student received a final grade of C- or below may be repeated. No grade is removed from the transcript, but only the last grade received in a course is considered in computing a student's grade point average and credits earned. This pertains only to classes taken and repeated at JCU. If a class is repeated outside JCU, both the initial grade and the subsequent grade will appear on the transcript and will be considered in calculating a student's grade point average.

Academic Policy: Transferring credits while matriculated at JCU

Students who are currently matriculated may transfer credit for courses taken at other institutions by submitting a Course Away form to the Registrar before the courses are taken. All grades will be registered on JCU transcripts and factored into your CUM GPA at JCU.

! Students receiving U.S. government financial aid must check with the JCU Financial Aid Office before enrolling in courses at other institutions.

! Students are not to complete thesis courses or major program capstone courses at other institutions !