Skip to main content

Academic Transfer Credit Policies

Information on the Transfer Credit Evaluation

Determination of how your transfer credits are applied toward degree requirements will be made by the Registrar’s Office.

Only courses taken at a college or university of recognized standing that meet our general transfer credit policy are accepted for transfer. All transferred courses are recorded on the student’s academic record.

The JCU Registrar's Office reserves the right to determine:

  • How transferred course semester credit hours are applied toward graduation requirements in accordance with the policies of the college.
  • The maximum number of semester credit hours that may transfer from a two-year or four-year postsecondary institution.
  • The minimum number of semester credit hours that must be completed at John Cabot University in order to be eligible for a Bachelor of Arts
  • The minimum number of semester credit hours that must be completed as a degree student in residence at JCU to receive an undergraduate degree.

The credit system at John Cabot University is based on semester credit hours. Credits transferred from colleges/universities with a different credit system will be converted to the JCU equivalent. Any final determination of acceptance of semester credit hours toward any JCU B.A. program based on the content of the credit is made by the Registrar’s Office.

Credit for courses taken online will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis by the Registrar’s Office provided that the course was complete at an accredited college or university.

College-level work taken during high school is evaluated in accordance with general guidelines for transfer credit at JCU. Official college transcripts of work taken must be received in order for transfer credit to be awarded.

Provisional transfer credits may be initially awarded if the academic documentation received is in an unofficial form (e.g. online results, photocopy…). In such cases, transfer credits will not be officially granted until and unless official documentation is provided. This is true and applicable for all transfer credit material: transcripts, diplomas, certificates, score cards, grade reports and any other academic document.


Obtain A Preliminary Transfer Credit Evaluation

You can obtain a preliminary transfer credit evaluation by using our online Transfer Credit Evaluation Form

Please note that this preliminary evaluation is based on your own self-reporting of courses and grades and is designed to provide you with information that is as accurate as possible regarding time to completion. A final, official, evaluation will be made by the JCU Registrar at the time of acceptance.